Sunday, August 23, 2009

Name! That! Laptop!

Recently, the Lab decided to stringently enforce a rule saying that all laptops leaving lab premises must have encryption. Furthermore, they would administer the encryption. Okay, not so bad...

...but, you have one option for encryption. An option that doesn't work on any older Macintosh laptops. This means that a lot of older Lab-issued laptops are nothing more than overly expensive desktops as they will not be allowed to leave the lab.

I've lucked out, however- although my old laptop is brick'd, some extra grant money within the group has afforded me a brand spankin' new Macbook Pro! Huzzah!

Here's where you come in- I must give this machine a host name so I can SSH to and from, etc, etc. I would like to hear everyone's suggestions for names. Points are given for comedy value and the likelihood of I.T. approving the name. For example, binLaden would be a great host name. Imagine logging into a computer named binLaden located somewhere in a government weapons lab. Comedy gold!

So please post your suggested name in the comments. If I get enough responses, I'll hold a binding poll to name my new laptop. My new laptop should be arriving within two weeks.

3 comments:

  1. DeathToAmerica
    OppenheimerSoldOut
    UpUpDownDownLeftRightLeftRightBAStart
    FourtyTwo
    TheBlackHoleLivesOn
    TheSleeveOfMyFavoriteJacket
    HiddenNationalSecrets
    DODDataHere
    IllegalAlien
    ChineseSpyInfiltration
    SecurityBreach
    ButtDarts
    [something racist]


    I can go on...is there a limit to the nominations I can make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hamasandpita
    Allahuakbar
    OMJihad (OMG?)
    IMAmole

    That's all I've got right now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man... I'm dying here. These are great. Right now I'm leaning towards DODDataHere and OMJihad. So much win.

    ReplyDelete