Monday, April 20, 2009

Sweet Sensationalism! The sun is coming to KILL!

Step 1: Read this article.

Step 2: Roll eyes.

If one needs an explanation as to the level of credulity present in the world today, look no further than our news media. The key to this article is how they wrap some good facts and good science in pure and total sensationalistic garbage to scare up as many readers as possible (isn't that how they all work?)

Good: Discussion of the effects of space weather, mention of the Carrington Event, mention of the solar cycle, and recognition of Dan Baker's constant work to raise awareness, especially among our leaders, of the problems space weather can pose.

Bad: Saying that the next solar storm of Carrington-proportions will happen within three years during what will likely be the weakest solar cycle this century! I've already discussed how our current solar cycle is exceptionally unspectacular; I'll be expanding on this shortly. Let me emphasize, however, that as far as we currently understand, we are not "due" for anything except the next solar maximum.

As if complete ignorance of the solar conditions both now and in the near future isn't bad enough, the author completely negates his fear-inducing title in his own article.

Title:
Meltdown! A solar superstorm could send us back into the dark ages - and one is due in just THREE years

Third-to-last line:
Of course, it may not happen in 2012 - it may not happen in 2023, the year of the next solar maximum.

So, it may not come in three years - or even fourteen - but you DAMN WELL BETTER BE READY! And just to show you what the sun will look like on that fateful day:



In case you missed it, the caption of the picture is "Trouble ahead: How the sun storm might look in London." Dear readers, I assure you- if the sun ever looks like this, the last thing we will worry about is the electricity going out.

2 comments:

  1. I've been reading this blog for a few weeks now, starting from the beginning and continuing reading the posts in order.

    I must say, I enjoyed the picture of London with the photoshopped (badly, I might add) giant flaming ball of doom behind it. I've seen Sci-Fi channel originals that looked more convincing--including some ridiculous giant snake movie staring Pat Morita...

    I knew where the link was going before I clicked it...

    Enjoying the blog so far, and I'll be sure to keep reading it.

    FDM

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, I'm glad you're enjoying it so far.
    I have a couple of interesting posts coming up soon that I think you'll enjoy quite a bit...

    ReplyDelete